Monday, May 3, 2010

The "Regular" Dilemma

When I first started dancing, all of...4 weeks ago (I think?), I remember listening to the other girls talking about their "regulars," as well as the make up artist and the house mom warning me that they will probably get pissed if they see you chatting up or trying to get a dance from a girls set "regular" or "customer." After listening in for a bit I learned that a regular is someone that comes in to see a specific girl, and it's usually to take her up to a champagne room. They have set days they come in, even set hours. I've heard girls complain about being "double booked" for the night with their customers.

So this whole concept still kind of mystifies me. At first I thought only the dirty girls had regulars, and the reason these men were consistently coming back and spending at least $300 an hour (plus whatever else she "charges") was because they were getting sex. But I talked to Deena and a couple of the seemingly normal girls, and it seems like just about anyone that's been dancing long enough has their regulars. And now, after only being there a few weeks even I am seeing repeat visitors. No one that regularly wants to take me to champagne, but always gets dances from me, etc.

I suppose I'm kind of getting the hang of cultivating regulars, although I'm still a little confused about the whole thing.

My biggest question is, how do you keep these customers, who are obviously very enchanted with you, from wanting to cross the line from regular to relationship? Like I swear, every guy that I've had any sort of repeat business from has immediately started harping on me about seeing me outside of work, taking care of me financially if we were "together", you know the drill. A couple of them seem like really good guys, and definitely have money. So I'd like them to come in and see me, but how do I keep them coming back without specifically saying "NO. We will never be together. End of story" ? I should also note that I've been strongly advised to NOT tell any of them I have a boyfriend. Do you agree?

My confusion on this topic is apparent in how disjointed this post is. Please forgive my naivety, I'm sure I will get the hang of it soon. But advice would be much appreciated in the meantime.

1 comment:

  1. I agree - do not tell them you have a boyfriend. If you have to lie, because it's al about the fantasy. And there's your out. You don't want to ruin what you have with them. That's why you can't get involved in the outside world. My usual conversation goes something like "don't you like how nice things are right now? I don't want to change anything about this" and if they keep pushing, "it's a matter of policy. I can't do it. I think you're great and I like seeing you here, but this is how it has to be."

    ReplyDelete